Delivered at MLA 2019, as part of panel on the relation of criticism and theory. Criticism is not the opposite of theory, in the way that sometimes history is said to be the opposite of theory. Criticism is not systematic in the way that theory is. Thinkers described as unsystematic might often also be described as critics. Criticism has an affinity with the essay form. Criticism is often associated with a stance or attitude, as in “a critical spirit” or “a critical temper.” One does not refer to a “theoretical spirit” or a “theoretical temper,” though one can show...Read More
Author: Amanda Anderson
- On the Concept of Corrosive Irony with Continual Reference to Edward Said: In Belated Memoriam, Morningside Heights, 2024
- Presentation Copy
- Anatomizing the Fall
- The Radio DJ is a Storyteller: Sonic Reproduction and the Aura’s Long Afterlife
- The Hard Hat Riot of May 1970: A Slice of Non-Memoir
- Melissa Broder in Death Valley
- Something or Nothing at All
Never miss an update!
Subscribe to Politics/Letters Live for regular updates and special content.