“Grievance Studies” Exposed In 2017, three academics undertook a hoax that would later be dubbed “Sokal Squared”. Like Alan Sokal, author of the 1996 hoax on the journal Social Text, they took issue with strands of constructionist thought that they claimed emerged from the “post-modern” theoretical turn of the 1960s, and which they took to be “problematizing aspects of culture in minute detail in order to attempt diagnoses […] oppression rooted in identity” (Lindsay et al.). They had a slightly more concrete target than Sokal: the institutional presence of “grievance studies,” out of which they believed increasingly absurd...Read More
Author: Levi Hord
- “Love Is Blind” Beyond the Edit
- Julius Nyerere Translates “Julius Caesar” into Swahili, Dar es Salaam, 1963
- To Be Real! “Barbie” as a “Bacchae”
- THE MAR-A-LAGO AIR
- What Genre is “Succession”?
- News from the Staten Island Ferry
- Trump’s “Town Hall” A Counternarrative
- On “BreadTube:” Can YouTube Video Essays Be an Effective Form of Leftist Critique?
Never miss an update!
Subscribe to Politics/Letters Live for regular updates and special content.